Friday, May 23, 2008

Future dreams

While I was having a conversation with a friend I realized that we live in 2008. Nothing unusual so far. When we started talking about the future and 2010 came into the conversation I got very confused.
When I was young, only nine or ten years old, I watched Star Trek like a maniac. I was fascinated. I loved their outfits, Data was incredibly funny – and he still is – and the fact that they could teleport was amazing. Growing up with Gene Roddenberry’s movies can have a huge impact on your life as a child, no doubt about it. Star Trek, as Star Wars, teaches you, as a child, in a very subtle way, what are the real priorities in life. They teach you how to separate the good things and a good judgment from a bad one. Star Trek has a very powerful view on the future, a very optimistic one. The future, in Gene’s eyes, is how it actually should be. I’m not talking about the flying cars, and the space ships and traveling with the speed of light, I’m referring to the mentality that people should have in 200 years from now. The sad part is that we are approaching very fast those years Gene dreamt about in Star Trek and unfortunately things aren’t like that at all. I remember one episode from the first series, the one with Kirk (I think so, It was long ago). They found a strange vessel in space with three or four people trapped inside that vessel. They were very ill during life time and decided to get frozen and be thrown into space, so they could be discovered after hundreds of years, when they could have a chance of healing their diseases. That eventually happened and when they were found, they couldn’t believe that they were alive after hundreds of years. They were cured by the wonderful doctor on board, the funnies doctor alive, J and apparently everything was ok. BUT… they did not understand that they were now living in a world where cancer was eradicated, AIDS as well, hunger, wars and money were not the major problems of the earth. Earth was now a place where everybody lived in peace, without thinking about financial issues and about diseases. Some of them understood, or at least were enough open-minded to try to understand the new world they live in, except one. After the doctor healed his terrible illness, all he could think about was his bank account and his clients. Even if everybody tried to explain to him that every single person he knew was dead he couldn’t believe it. So, eventually he was beamed down to Earth and that was the end of it. We still don’t know how that guy managed with his new… life, but the idea is that the Earth is not at all heading into that king of life. Unfortunately, we still lie in a world controlled by guns, wars, irresponsible leaders (Bush), money and most of all, hunger and extremely complicated diseases. Not to mention that we are actually killing out planet by using cars and cars and cars and polluting it.
I wish I could be born somewhere in 2400 year, so I could see the next technological revolution. I wish I’ll see flying cars, no gas emissions, suspended buildings, clean oceans and especial, space ships. I’d love to travel in space. I heard that Americans are trying to built some elevators in space, so people could travel into space by elevators. I hope I won’t die before I get to see that finished.

Sorry for writing so much nonsense and for my spelling/grammar. That’s why I made this blog in the first place, to improve my English, so feel free to correct me at anytime.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

de fapt mesajul in Star Trek e aparent in aproape fiecare episod sau film de lung metraj din serie. omul trebuie sa se schimbe.
m-am uitat azi la Star Trek IV - The Voyage Home, iar mesajul a ramas la fel de relevant din '86 pana acum.

"save your energy. save yourselves. avoid the planet Earth at all costs. farewell..." (presedintele Federatiei Unite ale Planetelor)